Thursday, June 21, 2012

New Purchase - EMR

I bought 27 shares Emerson Electric (EMR) at $45.55 + commissions.  This purchase will add $43.20 to my annual passive income and comes with a yield of 3.49%.  EMR will strengthen my holdings in the industrials sector and help stabilize my portfolio.  I expect EMR to increase dividends in the future, it has a streak of over 50 straight years.

I haven't had much time to monitor the market the past week, but I noticed today (I'm 13 hours ahead of EST) the stock market is way down.  I'm going to revise my APD limit order to expire today to make sure I get in before the ex-date.  If it doesn't trigger, I'll reevaluate.

So far I'm very impressed with South Korea.  The people here are very polite and courteous.  I actually work alongside ROK soldiers, they speak good English.  ROK is about the size of Indiana but has a population of 50 million.  I'm stationed in the middle of Seoul.  Metro Seoul is the second largest city in the world, more people live here than NYC.  I went to a 7-11 across the street from my hotel and found the usual products such as Marlboro, Coke, Pepsi, and Gatorade.  But no slurpies!

4 comments:

  1. Nice purchase. EMR is a fairly stable company and I agree that it will likely continue to increase its dividend in the future. I haven't given too much consideration to buying industrial stocks lately, mainly because I'm satisfied with my current holdings in that area (GD, ITW, UTX). However, if GD continues to drop I may take the opportunity to average down. I'm rather tight on cash this summer, though, so I'm finding it difficult to choose where to deploy my limited capital. For the time being I am just watching the market.

    Glad to hear that your experience in South Korea has been good thus far. Incidentally, a co-worker of mine is currently over there for summer vacation to visit family (it's her home country).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about being tight on cash, my expenses have been through the roof this month. I don't even want to think about it. The good part is that I just got a small raise, I make a little bit extra in Korea, plus I received my annual clothing allowance. I need it bad. I'm still trying to figure out a new budget. I want a balance of savings, fun money to experience this country and travel money.

      Bah I just bought a smart phone that will also be my internet with the wifi hotspot app. It's not cheap, but I think it would cost more back in the states.

      Delete
  2. Nice buy. EMR has a great dividend streak. I wouldn't mind owning them at some point but I feel like most of the utilities have had a big runup in price. Looking at EMR though it's not at the top of its range like NEE, which I already own. I also bought 100 shares of EXC for an income portfolio I'm starting so I will hold off on utility purchases for a while.

    I can't imagine what Seoul is like, I'm sure you will have a good time. It's important to make time to have fun as well as investing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AB,

      I agree utilities are expensive right now. However, EMR is not an utility. It's an industrial stock that manufactures a wide variety of goods some of which are sold to power companies if I remember correctly. www.emerson.com has more information.

      Seoul is pretty cool. There are nowhere near as many skyscrapers compared to major American cities. I did see the headquarters for Hyundai, Kia, and LG. It turns out I'm being assigned to a different base about 30 minutes away. I should be moving next week. I think I'll be happy here, I'm considering staying an extra year. We have a financial incentive to stay, I'll have to factor that in as well.

      Delete