Sunday, January 8, 2012

Grocery Shopping

I have a funny way of picking products at the grocery store.  I choose brands I own stock in.  I know the $55 I spent on groceries today makes no difference to profits of the corporations I own, I guess it's the principle of it.  I kind of feel that the dividends I receive from Companies like PG, PEP, and GIS help to pay my grocery bill.  These types of companies are the easiest to understand since I use the products everyday.  To me that's the greatest part about investing in consumer staples; they produce products people will use whether the economy is good or not. 

Anyways I went to the grocery store today and purchased 31 items.  19 of which are manufactured by companies I own stock in.  That's 61%, not bad at all considering a lot of foods such as milk, bread, and fresh produce aren't manufactured by publicly traded corporations.  Here is what I bought:

Coca Cola:
1xDasani water (24pk)

General Mills:
2xCheerios
1xGreen Giant baby carots
2xYoplait yogurt

Johnson & Johnson:
1xAveeno lotion

Pepsi:
2xAmp Energy drink
1xHoney Graham Oh's cereal
1xPepsi (12pk)
1xQuaker Oat instant oatmeal

Procter & Gamble:
1xDuracell batteries
1xGain dish soap
1xPert Plus shampoo
4xPringles

Other companies I will be looking to buy in the future include Kellog (K), H.J. Heinz (HNZ), Colgate-Palmolive (CL).  Other companies I've looked at: ConAgra foods, Kraft foods, Hormel, Nestle, and Unilever.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff man!

    I always try to buy stuff from companies I own stock in, and visa versa aim to buy stock in companies that produce products I buy. Makes it a little easier to pay that bill for razors, chips, pop, etc!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, it also helps knowing I can buy either the Dasani water or the Aquafina whichever is the best buy because I own Coke and Pepsi stock ;)

      Delete